Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Pillow Week - Poppy Pillow

Day 2 of Pillow Week!!! Today, I've got a poppy pillow to share. So much fun!

Ever since I saw this beautiful thing on V & Co., I've wanted to make one:
Isn't that color combo just fabulous? The yellow and red against the muted sea-green/blue color. Wow. Oh, and I should also mention that the above pillow is actually from a guest poster, Allison from Cluck. Cluck. Sew.

I had the black felt (1/4 yard on a 60" roll) already purchased for my initial poppy pillow idea for the family room. Not wanting it to go to waste (and REALLY wanting to make a poppy pillow), I decided to work with it. I also had some linen-ish material left from my table runner project, which I have yet to complete, but only need the length of the yardage I purchased, not the width.

So all I had to buy was the pillow forms, which can be used again and again, and the buttons, which were on clearance. Score! Red to match my lamps.

I followed Allison's simple instructions (found HERE), and wound up with this:
Photobucket

I made my flower a bit smaller in hopes that hubby wouldn't hate it QUITE so much. Not sure it worked, but it's lasted a few days, and he hasn't tried to hide it yet.

And look! We hung our very first picture. It only took 4 months to do :)

Photobucket

Photobucket

Don't mind my mess of home magazines, window blind pamphlets and catalogs under the end table. They like to collect there.
 
Oooh, and notice the mini runner? Here's a closer look:

More of the linen-ey stuff :) I got the idea from this:
 

You can find a tutorial on Weddingbee
 
Differences? Mine are not actually burlap. they are much smaller :) and I sewed my ruffle on top, vs. tucking it underneath. I am having an issue with the one edge wanting to curl under from the pleats, but I'm hoping that works itself out as the fabric sits in that shape. We shall see!

So there you have it! My poppy pillow, and a bonus mini runner!

One more pillow to go! Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Just a quick note to let you know that a link to this post will be placed on CraftCrave today [04 Aug 01:00am GMT]. Thanks, Maria

    ReplyDelete

Jackie's bookshelf: read

Fragile EternityFlyteMagykMy Name Is MemoryKey of LightKey of Knowledge

More of Jackie's books »
Jackie's  book recommendations, reviews, favorite quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists